Anantha Sudhakar Memorial Scholarship - Graduate Award
This scholarship will be awarded for the FALL semester.
Awarding Department: Asian American Studies
Scholarship Intent: The Anantha Sudhakar Memorial Scholarship honors the memory of Associate Professor Emerita of Asian American Studies Anantha Sudhakar and her deep commitment and extraordinary dedication to social justice and the education of undergraduate and graduate students.
To learn about Dr. Anantha Sudhakar, please visit Dr. Anantha Sudhakar’s Memorial Page
Eligibility for Graduate Students:
- Graduate students in the College of Ethnic Studies (MA in AAS and MA in Ethnic Studies) with an interest in cross racial solidarity and whose work sits at the intersections of race, gender and sexuality
- Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Students must be enrolled as full-time students in the upcoming semester
Preference will be given to students who have financial need (determined by a personal statement). Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate the qualities below in their responses to the scholarship application questions.
Scholarship recipients should demonstrate the following qualities (#1, #2, at least one from #3, and at least one from #4):
- A commitment to social justice and Ethnic Studies.
- An intention to advance cross-racial activism and amplify the voices of queer and womxn-identified communities.
- An academic and/or creative interest in (at least ONE of):
a.) Asian American literature, art, activism, and culture
b.) South Asian experience in the United States; orthe intersection of Asian American Studies and gender studies, and/or queer theory
- Involvement in community organizing or activism whose goals are to create a just, equitable, and sustainable world for (at least one):
a.) Asian Americans
b.) South Asian Americans, and/or
c.) Queer and womxn-identified folk
The work above to be done in solidarity with Indigenous peoples, Black communities, and other communities of color in the United States.
Financial Need Statement:
1. If you have a financial need, please share your circumstance in a personal statement.
Major: Multiple, All graduate degree programs in the College of Ethnic Studies (including future ones): From the 2022-2023 University Bulletin: Asian American Studies, Ethnic Studies
Class Level: Grad: Masters/MFA
Enrollment Status: Continuing SF State student
Enrollment Requirement: Grad: 8 UNITS
Financial Need as determined by the FAFSA and/or CA Dream App: No
Minimum GPA: SF State Grad GPA: 2.5
Contact Person: Mai-Nhung Le
Campus Address: EP 107
Street Address: 1600 Holloway, San Francisco, California 94132-4011
Phone Number: (415) 338- 2698
Web page: Department of Asian American Studies
Number of Awards: Varies