Edward Said Scholarship
This fund is named in honor of Edward Wadie Said, a Palestinian American literary theorist and public intellectual who helped found the critical-theory field of Post-colonialism and was a champion of justice for and in Palestine.
Awarding Department: College of Ethnic Studies
Scholarship Intent: Provide scholarships to graduate and/or undergraduate students of Arab and Muslim Ethnicities and Diasporas (AMED) Studies who demonstrate an outstanding academic record and community service that exemplifies what Professor Edward Said stood for.
1) Graduate students who are enrolled in AMED courses and whose MA thesis focuses on AMED Studies or upper division Undergraduate students, enrolled full-time at SF State at the time of the award.
2) Undergraduate students pursuing a minor in AMED Studies must have a minimum GPA in AMED Minor courses of 3.5.
3) Must have taken or be currently enrolled in at least two Arab and Muslim Ethnicities and Diasporas Studies courses when they apply.
4) Student must be considering a future career that is interdisciplinary and of a public service nature, and that advances knowledge about or improves conditions for Arab and Muslim communities.
5) Students must complete an application including their CV or resume, transcripts, and 2 letters of recommendation.
6) Must submit an essay of 500 words describing their qualification and their plans for the future.
7) Scholarship is non-renewable. Recipient may only receive this scholarship one time.
Major: Arab and Muslim Ethnicities and Diasporas minors and graduate students whose thesis focuses on an AMED Studies intellectual area.
Class Level: Undergrad: Upper Division(Junior/Senior), Grad: Masters
Enrollment Status: Any
Enrollment Requirement: Undergrad: 12 UNITS; Grad: 1 UNIT
Financial Need as determined by the FAFSA and/or CA Dream App: Not a requirement
Minimum Cumulative GPA: HS GPA: N/A; Undergrad GPA: 3.0; Grad GPA: 3.5
Contact Person: Rabab Abdulhadi
Campus Address: Ethnic Studies & Psychology 427
Street Address: 1600 Holloway, San Francisco, California 94132
Phone Number: (415) 405-2668
Web page: http://amed.sfsu.edu/content/edward-said-scholarship
Number of Awards: 1
- College of Ethnic Studies
- Supplemental Questions
- Please submit an essay of no more than 500 words describing your qualifications for the Edward Said scholarship detailing your interdisciplinary career goals and your experience working with Arab and Muslim communities. Please be sure to mention your course-work in the AMED program. If you are a graduate student, please describe the focus of your MA thesis within AMED studies.
- Please select two individuals who can provide a reference on your behalf speaking to your qualifications for the Edward Said scholarship.
- Please provide the name and e-mail of your first reference.
- Please provide the name and e-mail of your second reference.
- Please upload your current CV or resume.
- Please upload your latest academic transcript. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.