Antoinette Finke Forgivable Loan


  • Awarding Department: Foreign Languages and Literatures
  • Scholarship Intent: To recognize academically outstanding undergraduate or graduate SF State Foreign Language majors with demonstrated financial need, by awarding a loan that is forgivable upon graduation from SF State, if recipient meets all program criteria.
  • Criteria: Recipients must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress:
    1. Undergraduate recipients must graduate from SF State within 6 years of declaring their Foreign Language major; graduate recipients within 4 years.
    2. Recipients must maintain a 3.0 minimum GPA for undergraduates and a 3.5 for graduates.
    3. Provide an unofficial transcript of each semester’s grades to the department chair.
    4. Recipients must complete at least full-time units each semester (12 for undergraduates; 8 for graduates).
    5. If applicant or recipient is determined ineligible for financial aid, the applicant is also ineligible to receive this loan.
    6. Recipients will be required to sign a promissory note to repay the loan in full, plus interest if the conditions are not met.
  • Major: Multiple: Foreign Languages
  • Class Level: Undergrad: Any, Grad: Masters
  • Enrollment Status: Any
  • Enrollment Requirement: Undergrad: FULL-TIME; Grad: FULL-TIME
  • Financial Need as determined by the FAFSA and/or CA Dream App: Must file a FAFSA for the upcoming academic year
  • Citizenship: US Citizen/Perm Res
  • GPA: HS GPA: N/A; Undergrad GPA: 3.0; Grad GPA: 3.5
  • Contact Person: Elisabetta Nelsen
  • Campus Address: HUM 476
  • Street Address: 1600 Holloway, San Francisco, California 94132
  • Phone Number: (415) 338-7413
  • Email:
  • Web page:
  • Number of Awards: varies

Modern Languages and Literatures
Supplemental Questions
  1. Please upload an unofficial SFSU transcript.
  2. Please write a personal statement about your academic goals and career plans.
  3. Please upload a copy of your Student Aid Report and/or Financial Aid offer letter for the upcoming academic year. If the Student Aid Report is not available, a copy of your completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid for the upcoming academic year.