Scholarship Intent: This scholarship program is designed to address the growing shortage of nurse educators while diversifying the nurse faculty population in the United States. In addition to seeking out individuals committed to careers in nursing education, this program also will expand the number of culturally-competent nurse educators available to teach an increasingly diverse student body.
1) Be a member of an Underrepresented Minority Group, meaning those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the nursing profession relative to their numbers in the general population. In Nursing, this is typically defined as individuals from the following backgrounds: American Indian, Alaskan Native, Asian American, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latino, Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander. Caucasian/non-Hispanic applicants are not eligible candidates; gender does not apply to minority status for the purposes of this scholarship.
2) Be a full-time student that is enrolled or already accepted into a doctoral nursing program (i.e. PhD, DNP) or clinically-focused nursing master’s program.
3) Contact Marta Okoniewski at email@example.com for all eligible programs.
4) Qualified immigrants are eligible to apply.
5) Visit website or contact organization for requirements.
6) Sign a letter of commitment in which he/she pledges to provide, for each year of scholarship support awarded, a one-year payback as full-time nursing faculty in an accredited registered nursing program in the United States. If payback requirement is not fulfilled, recipient will be expected to reimburse program in full. If student is receiving other forms of assistance that require a post-graduation service requirement, she/he cannot satisfy these obligations concurrently; instead they must be cumulative.
7) Agree to provide 6-month progress updates to AACN until teaching commitment has been fulfilled.
8) Agree to work with a mentor throughout the life of the scholarship grant.
9) Attend AACN’s February 2018 Faculty Development Conference to gain useful skills to increase effectiveness as a nursing faculty member and foster leadership development.