Crankstart Reentry Scholarship
Office of Student Financial Aid
This scholarship will be awarded for the upcoming academic year. Must enroll in a minimum of 7 units to receive this TUITION scholarship.
Awarding Department: Office of Student Financial Aid
Scholarship Intent: To provide scholarships for TUITION assistance to non-traditional, LOW INCOME and UNDERSERVED reentry students with great financial need whose education have been interrupted for five or more years and who want to resume their undergraduate education to pursue a baccalaureate degree.
1) Have experienced a cumulative gap in their undergraduate education of five or more years.
2) Be between the ages of 25-50.
3) Must be undergraduate level and pursuing first baccalaureate degree.
4) Anticipate workforce participation for a significant period of time after graduation.
5) MUST DEMONSTRATE financial need, socio-economic status, challenges and/or hardships, academic qualifications, achievements and promise and a commitment to obtaining degree.
6) International students are NOT ELIGIBLE.
7) Students who are exclusively enrolled in online courses are NOT ELIGIBLE (Due to COVID-19, scholarships may be awarded to students enrolled in on-line courses).
8) Scholarship must be applied to tuition fees exclusively except for the amount up to $1,000 discretionary portion which is for student use.
If you have other sources paying your tuition (e.g., State University grant, Cal grant, Middle Class scholarship, fee subsidies, scholarship that pays tuition only), and you receive this scholarship, your other resources will be reduced.
Class Level: Undergrad: Any; Grad: N/A
Enrollment Status: Entering and Continuing
Enrollment Requirement: Undergrad: 7 units; Grad: N/A
Financial Need as determined by the FAFSA and/or CA Dream App: Not a requirement
Citizenship: Any (International students are not eligible to apply)
GPA: HS GPA: N/A; Undergrad GPA: 3.0; Grad GPA: N/A
Contact Person: Office of Student Financial Aid
Campus Address: SSB, One Stop Center
Street Address: 1600 Holloway Avenue, San Francisco, California 94132-4011
Phone Number: (415)338-7000
Web page: https://financialaid.sfsu.edu/scholarships
Number of Awards: varies
- up to $5,000 towards cost of attendance
- Office of Student Financial Aid
- Supplemental Questions
- Will you be enrolled in a minimum of 7 units at SF State during the Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 semesters?
- Provide a timeline that details your CUMULATIVE FIVE OR MORE years gap in your college education. The gap does not have to be consecutive years. PROVIDE A LIST OF THE SCHOOLS AND DATES ATTENDED. INCLUDE your high school, community colleges, 4 year colleges, and other colleges attended. SAMPLE timeline: Lincoln High School, August 1987- June 1991; City College of SF, Fall 1991 - Spring 1993; Laney College, Spring 1996; City College of SF, Fall 2011 - Spring 2013.
- Do you anticipate working a significant number of years after graduation? Please DESCRIBE your specific CAREER GOALS and CAREER PLANS in your PERSONAL STATEMENT BELOW.
- ADDRESS THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS for the CRANKSTART REENTRY scholarship in your personal statement and give SPECIFIC examples. Statement must be written in ESSAY FORMAT and no more than 750 words. DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME on your personal statement.
- 1) Describe the significant CHALLENGES, HARDSHIPS, AND/OR OBSTACLES in your life that have interrupted your education? 2) What has impacted your desire or ability to resume your education and your commitment to obtaining your degree? 3) Describe your academic achievements and educational goals? 4) Describe your "FINANCIAL NEED" and the difficulties you face in financing your education and explain how you are financing your education. 5) Describe your career goals and your career plans after graduation?
- Submit unofficial academic transcripts from ALL Community Colleges and other colleges attended. Please upload the academic transcript(s) as one file upload.