Dr. Leslie and Phyllis Wong Scholarship Endowment
Scholarship will be disbursed in the Fall 2023 semester, after the census, and approximately after the fourth week of the semester. Students must be enrolled at SF State in Fall 2023 and satisfy the criteria described below in Fall 2023 to receive it.
As natives of the San Francisco Bay Area, Dr. Leslie and Phyllis Wong know well the importance of an urban university which offers the opportunity for an excellent education to students who aspire to a college degree. As experienced leaders in public education, they have a special understanding of the way in which state budgets impact the lives of those students who rely on financial assistance to pay tuition and complete their studies. As the University increasingly depends on private support to help maintain its strong dedication to social justice and provide access for a diverse student body, Dr. and Mrs. Wong hope their gift will provide immediate assistance to students in need.
- Awarding Department: Alumni Association
- Scholarship Intent: To provide assistance to students in need.
1) Applicants must have at least one semester remaining before graduation from SF State.
2) Students must demonstrate financial need through a written statement that should also include education or life goals.
3) Preference given to students who have financial need as determined by the Financial Aid office via the FAFSA.
- Major: Any
- Class Level: HS Seniors, Undergrad: Any, Grad: N/A
- Enrollment Status: Any
- Enrollment Requirement: Undergrad: FULL-TIME; Grad: N/A
- Financial Need as determined by the FAFSA and/or CA Dream App: Not a Requirement
- Citizenship: Any
- GPA: HS GPA: 3.0; Undergrad GPA: 3.0; Grad GPA: N/A
- Contact Person: S. Evrim Özer, B.S., ’00 & M.S., ’04, CFRE, CMP, Associate Director of Alumni Relations & Annual Giving
- Campus Address: ADM 153
- Street Address: 1600 Holloway, San Francisco, California 94132
- Phone Number: (415) 338-2217
- Email: email@example.com
- Web page: http:alumni.sfsu.edu
- Number of Awards: varies
- Alumni Association
- Supplemental Questions
- This scholarship is available to incoming and continuing undergraduate students who have at least one semester left before graduating from SF State. Do you have at least one semester before obtaining your graduate degree, and will you enroll in classes in the upcoming fall semester?
- Personal Statement: Awardees of this scholarship should demonstrate a personal drive to overcome obstacles as well as a community-oriented focus and a commitment to others. Within this context, please provide a personal statement describing your academic and career goals. Your statement should answer the following questions: What are your reasons for applying for this scholarship? How do you intend to use your degree upon graduation? To what extent does your field of study benefit you and/or the larger community? See https://financialaid.sfsu.edu/scholarship-and-essay-tips. (200-word minimum and 500-word maximum)
- Financial Need Statement: Please provide a brief statement of financial need detailing how receiving this scholarship will assist you and enable you to achieve your academic and career goals, e.g., content such as parent’s education and occupations, disability or illness in the family, extenuating circumstances, single parent household, other siblings in college, cost of college tuition compared to how you will finance your education that describes your financial status. If you are currently working to support your education or are a participant in EOP, Guardian Scholars or related campus programs, please include this in your response. (100-word minimum and 200-word maximum)
- Please provide the name and e-mail of an individual who can provide a reference on your behalf. Your reference provider should be familiar with you and able to speak to your personal, professional and/or academic achievements. Faculty, colleagues, or mentors are highly recommended. Please be sure to communicate to the individual that you are listing them as a reference provider and give them context on the scholarship for which you are applying so they can tailor their reference. See https://financialaid.sfsu.edu/letters-recommendation for tips and guidelines on asking for letters of recommendation. If your reference provider cannot upload their reference letter to your application on the Award Management/Academic Works system directly before the online deadline, your scholarship application that’s missing a reference letter can’t be evaluated.