Azar Hatefi Graduate Student Fellowship in Iranian Diaspora Studies
LIBERAL & CREATIVE ARTS
Scholarship will be awarded for the 2023-2024 academic year
IMPORTANT APPLICATION INFORMATION: All reference letters must be received, via AcademicWorks, no later than the application deadline in order for an application to be considered qualified and reviewed. This requires applicants to submit their application before the deadline, which includes providing the reference name and email address. References should be notified by the applicant that letters need to be submitted through AcademicWorks no later than a week before the application deadline, to allow time to solve any potential issues. Applicants should check their AcademicWorks student portal to ensure that reference letters have been submitted before the application deadline, resending reference letter requests for letters not submitted. The letter must be submitted through this AcademicWorks site by the application deadline, and a copy must be sent to email@example.com. Applications that do not have the required reference letter by the deadline will not be reviewed and are not eligible for the scholarship.
- Awarding Department: Center for Iranian Diaspora Studies
- Scholarship Intent: Supports original and significant research about the Iranian Diaspora that crosses disciplinary, regional, or cultural boundaries. Award is contingent upon the candidate’s acceptance into a graduate program at SFSU. This $10,000/year award (with possibility for 2nd year renewal) may be used for expenses connected with research, course work, travel, data work/collection, and supplies. All applicants working on Iranian Diaspora topics should carefully consider whether their work demonstrably engages topics pertaining to Iranian Diaspora Studies.
1) Applicants must have completed a BA or BS degree from an accredited institution of higher education by August 1, 2023 and must be accepted into a graduate program at San Francisco State University (can be within the College of Liberal and Creative Arts, College of Ethnic Studies or other department or school) to be eligible to receive this award.
2) Admission into a graduate program and completion of a baccalaureate degree may be pending at the time of applying for the fellowship, but must be completed before the award is disbursed.
3) The graduate fellow will be expected to finish a thesis project related to Iranian Diaspora studies by the end of the second year.
4) Applications must include: Personal statement identifying the research project and vision, two letters of reference commenting on preparedness for graduate-level work, proposal and timeline for completion of a thesis project or developed research project, names of two faculty members at SFSU with whom the candidate intends to conduct research. The letters of recommendation must be submitted separately by the deadline to Persis Karim (firstname.lastname@example.org).
5) Renewal for a second year of funding is contingent on a progress report from the candidate, letter from SFSU faculty advisor, and a meeting with the Director of the Center for Iranian Diaspora Studies.
- Major: Any Graduate program.
- Class Level: Undergrad: Graduating Senior; Grad: Masters
- Enrollment Status: Any
- Enrollment Requirement: Undergrad: N/A; Grad: 8 UNITS
- Financial Need as determined by the FAFSA and/or CA Dream App: Not a Requirement
- Citizenship: Any
- GPA: HS GPA: N/A; Undergrad or SF State GPA: 3.0; Grad or SF State GPA: 3.0
- Contact Person: Center for Iranian Diaspora Studies
- Campus Address: HUM 503
- Street Address: 1600 Holloway, San Francisco, California 94132
- Phone Number: (415) 338-1500
- Email: email@example.com
- Web page: http://cids.sfsu.edu/home
- Number of Awards: 2
- Center for Iranian Diaspora Studies
- Supplemental Questions
- Provide a 750-1000 (maximum) word personal statement in which you describe why you are pursuing graduate study within one of the disciplines eligible for this award at San Francisco State University and how the Azar Hatefi Graduate Student Fellowship will support you in pursuing research in Iranian Diaspora Studies. Describe a potential research project and/or thesis topic that you will pursue while at SFSU.
- Proposal and timeline for completion of a thesis project or developed research project.
- Please note that your reference provider should be familiar with you and should be able to speak to your personal.” Your reference provider should be familiar with you and able to speak to your personal, professional and/or academic achievements. Faculty, colleagues or mentors are highly recommended. Please be sure to inform the individual that you are listing them as a reference provider and provide them context on the scholarship for which you are applying so they can tailor their reference accordingly, and inform them that the letter must be submitted by the application deadline.
- Names and emails of two faculty members at SFSU with whom you intend to conduct research; it is your responsibility to reach out to those faculty members and confirm that they will work with you on an Iranian Diaspora Studies-related project.