Carolyn Irene Howard Memorial Scholarship
LIBERAL & CREATIVE ARTS
Scholarship funds will be awarded in the 2023-2024 academic year. Students graduating in spring and summer 2023 are not eligible.
IMPORTANT APPLICATION INFORMATION: All LCA scholarships require one or more reference letters as a part of the application. All reference letters must be received, via AcademicWorks, no later than the application deadline in order for an application to be considered qualified and reviewed. This requires applicants to submit their application before the deadline, which includes providing the reference name and email address. References should be notified by the applicant that letters need to be submitted through AcademicWorks no later than a week before the application deadline, to allow time to solve any potential issues. Applicants should check their AcademicWorks student portal to ensure that reference letters have been submitted before the application deadline, resending reference letter requests for letters not submitted. Applications that do not have the required reference letter by the deadline will not be reviewed and are not eligible for the scholarship.
- Awarding Department: College of Liberal & Creative Arts
- Scholarship Intent: To ease the financial burden for College of Liberal & Creative Arts undergraduates and graduates who are making career changes to become teachers and entering the fields of language, literature, and the humanities. Re-entry students from majors listed below and re-entry students being admitted for the first time to a major listed below will be eligible.
- Criteria: Applicants must not have been enrolled as a student for more than 3 semesters at SF State.
- Major: Multiple: American Studies, Chinese, Classics, Communication Studies, Comparative and World Literature, Creative Writing, Cultural Anthropology, English, French, German, History, Humanities, International Relations, Italian, Japanese, Jewish Studies, Journalism, Liberal Studies, Museum Studies, Philosophy, and Religion, Technical and Professional Writing, Women and Gender Studies.
- Class Level: Undergrad: Any; Grad: Masters
- Enrollment Status: Any
- Enrollment Requirement: Undergrad: HALF-TIME; Grad: HALF-TIME
- Financial Need as determined by the FAFSA and/or CA Dream App: Not a Requirement
- Citizenship: Any
- GPA: HS GPA: N/A; Undergrad GPA: N/A; Grad GPA: N/A
- Contact Person: Arsham Pourfallah
- Campus Address: MH 404
- Street Address: 1600 Holloway, San Francisco, California 94132
- Phone Number: (415) 338-1471
- Email: email@example.com
- Web page: https://lca.sfsu.edu/scholarships
- Number of Awards: varies
- College of Liberal & Creative Arts
- Supplemental Questions
- Please upload your SFSU unofficial transcript or admission letter in PDF form here.
- Please write your personal statement (approximately 350 words) that includes that includes: (a) Your background and reasons for choosing your major and future academic plans, (b) A comment on how you meet the definition of a returning student, and (c) Why you need this award and how the financial support will help you to pursue your studies.
- Please provide the name and e-mail of an individual who can provide a reference on your behalf. Your reference provider should be familiar with you and able to speak to your personal, professional and/or academic achievements. Faculty, colleagues or mentors are highly recommended. Please be sure to inform the individual that you are listing them as a reference provider and provide them context on the scholarship for which you are applying so they can tailor their reference accordingly, and inform them that the letter must be submitted by the application deadline.
- Scholarship funds are disbursed in the following academic year. Students graduating this spring and summer are not eligible. What semester are you graduating?