Gabriela Sanchez Memorial Scholarship
Scholarship awarded for the 2022-2023 Academic Year
Gabriela Sanchez whose memory is honored with the Gabriela Sanchez Memorial Scholarship was dedicated to her studies, actively involved with the SF State community, and eager to accomplish her many goals.
She was a recipient of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), which eased some of the many barriers in the pursuit of her goals of obtaining a college degree and becoming a role model for her family and her fellow undocumented students, who struggle like she did.
Ms. Sanchez was a year away from earning her bachelor’s degree in broadcasting and electronic communication arts at San Francisco State University when she died. On campus, she was involved with Improving Dreams, Equity, Access and Success (I.D.E.A.S), an organization that advocates for undocumented students. She was a member of the Comic Book Club and was planning to publish her first comic book in fall 2017. She also enjoyed sharing her poetry at school functions. She was planning to film and submit one of her poems to the Sundance Film Festival where she had been offered a volunteer opportunity. Ms. Sanchez was looking forward to exploring careers in the entertainment
industry, and had aspirations of becoming a political figure in the future. Her academic achievements and activism were recognized by San Francisco State University when she was conferred her bachelor’s degree posthumously in spring 2018.
- Awarding Department: Division of Equity & Community Inclusion
- Scholarship Intent: The purpose of the Gabriela Sanchez Memorial Scholarship Fund is to assist promising immigrant, first generation students in their pursuit of their college degree at SF State who are DACA eligible or AB540 eligible.
1) Students at SF State who are DACA eligible or AB 540 eligible;
2) Enrolled part-time or full-time in any major;
3) Have a SF State GPA of 2.5 or greater;
2) Have financial need demonstrated by a personal statement.
- Major: Any
- Class Level: Undergrad: Any; Grad: N/A
- Enrollment Status: Continuing
- Enrollment Requirement: Undergrad: 6 UNITS; Grad: N/A
- Financial Need as determined by the FAFSA and/or CA Dream App: Not a requirement
- Citizenship: Any
- GPA: HS GPA: N/A; Undergrad SF State GPA: 2.5; Grad GPA: N/A
- Contact Person: Division of Equity & Community Inclusion
- Campus Address: SSB 206
- Street Address: 1600 Holloway Avenue, San Francisco, California 94132
- Phone Number: (415) 405-3503 – *Email Preferred
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web page: www.drc.sfsu.edu
- Number of Awards: 1
- Supplemental Questions
- What significant factors or events in your life contributed to your desire to succeed in college?
- What are your educational goals and what steps have you taken to work towards them?
- How have you demonstrated a serious commitment to helping others access higher education or acted as a role model by promoting higher education?
- Demonstrate how you would go about overcoming a challenge in your life using an example from your past.
- How has your immigration story impacted your college education, and how might this story empower other students to pursue a college education, regardless of their immigration status?