Willie L. Brown Jr. Fellowship
HEALTH AND SOCIAL SCIENCES
Fellowship will be awarded for the Spring 2020 semester
Awarding Department: School of PACE
Scholarship Intent: The Willie L. Brown Jr. Fellowship provides SF State students with an opportunity to gain professional experience in the public sector while developing a life-long commitment to public service.
Criteria: Applicants must:
1) have completed 60 units at the time of selection;
2) be available to intern 16 hours/week for 15 weeks;
3) enroll in internship seminar that meets once/week for 10 weeks;
4) complete application including 1 essay, contact information for 2 references (at least one from SF State faculty), and unofficial transcript;
5) have faced hardships in pursuing a college degree.
Class Level: Undergrad: Junior, Senior; Grad: N/A
Enrollment Status: Continuing
Enrollment Requirement: Undergrad: 12 UNITS; Grad: N/A
Financial Need as determined by the FAFSA and/or CA Dream App: Not a Requirement
Minimum GPA: HS GPA: N/A; Undergrad GPA: 2.0; Grad GPA: N/A
Contact Person: Fellowship Co-Directors
Campus Address: HSS 261
Street Address: 1600 Holloway Avenue, San Francisco, California 94132
Phone Number: (415) 405-4129
Web page: <http://pace.sfsu.edu/wlbjfellowship
Number of Awards: varies
- Public Affairs and Civic Engagement (PACE)
- Supplemental Questions
- Write a personal statement of 1,000 to 1,500 words. The statement should be a coherent essay that describes: (1) your academic and career goals, including fields of interest, (2) any hardships you have faced in life and how they have shaped your academic and career goals, (3) your background and/or interest in working in the public sector, (4) your strengths and skills, and (5) how participating in the Willie L. Brown Fellowship Program will help you attain your goals.
- Upload ONE document that includes your college transcripts with GPA from each institution attended. Unofficial Transcripts acceptable.
- Provide the names, titles, affiliations, phone and email addresses for two references. If you are a current SF State student, at least one must be from a faculty member or official advisor (staff member) at SF State. If you are a first-semester transfer student, you may provide the contact information for a faculty member or instructor from another institution you attended in lieu of SF State Faculty.
- If you are selected as a finalist, are you available to attend one in-person interview the week of April 13th and/or April 20th at SF City Hall?
- If selected as a Fellow, will you be able to participate in a 3-hour seminar on Friday mornings (9:30 - 12:30) at SF City Hall during the Fall 2020 semester?
- If selected as a Fellow, will you be available to intern 16 hours/week at a city agency in San Francisco in the Fall 2020 semester?
- Are you enrolled full-time this semester?
- Do you plan to enroll full-time in Fall 2020?
- Where did you hear about the Willie Brown Fellowship Program? (please check all that apply)?
- If you answered "other" to the question above, please describe how you heard about the Willie L. Brown Fellowship below:
- Show 5 more